Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Lunar Eclipse and Catching up

Last night I caught a glimpse of the lunar eclipse. Lovely. Things that make you remember we're all living on a big flying rock in space are always a bit heady for me. *smirk*

I've been pretty busy art-wise the last month or so, although I haven't been sharing.

I finished the Polar Bear Mask, I still need cleaner pictures but here's a few for you

I wanted her to be genderless and then she just told me she was female so I had to go with it. She has a white silk dupioni base, twists of wool yarn and silver embroidery thread coming up over her snout, and real shells from a childhood necklace of mine up over her brow. The detail embroidery over her left ear and forehead is based on some pieces of cedar branch I found while hiking.


The blues and silvers over her snout invoke the idea that the polar bears habitat is melting. In my mind this goddess is sinking ever so slowly into the water, hopefully to be reborn, but there is something about this mask that feels mournful to me. Almost a death mask... I guess it's part of my mindset lately.




We went hiking with my friend Kendra a month or so ago, and picked up a lot of beautiful fall leaves. Somehow I got the idea that leaves, if split, were wings. So two little moth creatures were born.


I'm getting a lot of inspiration from nature lately, can you tell?



And last but not least, here's a progress shot of the crazy quilt. I did some piecing and now the hard part begins. Actually quilting this thing. Currently it's about 6'6" by 5'0". I'll keep you updated.


I have been down a bit lately, but I think it's just that time of year when I'm partially in a mental cocoon. I need to sleep and snuggle and twist in my little world and soon enough I feel I will be reborn into the next stage of my life.

Love and hugs to all. And Happy Solstice! Today's the shortest day of the year. Soon the light will return.

-moo

No comments: