Thursday, July 15, 2010

Buried Treasure 2010

"Come with us on a journey through time and space..."



Here is my contribution to this years Buried Treasure. As organized by Seth Apter over at The Altered Page. And here is the link to the TREASURE CHEST if you want to see all the other posts.

I picked this piece from February last year. It starts off a bit etsy focused so I chopped the first half off. Anyway, hope you all enjoy. I'll make the title link to the original post.

*********************************

Tuesday, February 17th, 2009

Perkins and Actual Brain Thoughts

I've been stumbling across a lot of my old art lately, as I attempt to get a grip on what my work is becoming and what I'm becoming. I'm finally starting to feel old. It happens in little pieces. I had the revelation yesterday, maybe the day before, that I am most assuredly no longer 'cool' to teenagers.

Now I was never 'cool'. That would never be a word to accurately describe me. But for a time, maybe five or so years, I was, by virtue of being in college or just out of college, 'cool' to young teenagers. I had tasted the freedom and liberty of 'adulthood', but wasn't yet tainted by adult culture. It was a great feeling. Realizing that I was now suddenly in a highly coveted position.

It's not like there was really any way to exploit this feeling. It just was. Sometimes I'd be on the bus, or the subway, and realize that I was in this exalted place to teenagers around me. I was trusted as a fellow young person, but also revered as a sort of avatar for everything they were itching to be.

And that's pretty much over. I've been told that there is a ten year gap. Within ten years, you're cool. So I guess to a sixteen year old or older, I might still be in that magic place. Hopefully to my sister I am. But to those little fourteen and thirteen year old girls I see at work, I'm a wash up. An adult. Above them in ways they would never aspire to. Wearing last years, or five years ago's fashion. Or a fashion that is inspired by something so ancient that it's just awful.

Sigh.

It's not a new feeling. As I said, 'cool' was just a fad for me. Something I happened on. A treat I got without paying for it, that disappeared just as mysteriously as it arrived.

Getting something for free doesn't mean I can't miss it though.

All the more reason to embrace adulthood, and migrate fully out of the 'in between' place. If it ever existed.

I've been told, multiple times, that I need to get 'adult' jewelry, and wear 'adult' clothes. I've started wearing 'adult clothes' more and more. Just to get some respect I suppose. Wearing the clothes I like wearing doesn't give me much clout in 'adult' conversations. And sadly, I now, more than ever, need to live in the adult world.

It's an important transition. I suppose there are rituals in our culture for that transition. Leaving high school, leaving college, etc. But living and working in theatre, especially when I'm freelance, has meant that I have been able to prolong the inevitable. Everyone in theatre is a bit childlike. A bit loose and free with rules and restrictions. So wearing ripped, painted clothes is totally acceptable. And walking into a theatre when there is a load in, or a 'call' of any sort, in fully 'adult' clothes, means you're a designer, a director, or really just don't belong.

You're expected to be a little 'out there' in theatre. Maybe that's why I'm having a hard time fitting myself into normal 'adult culture'. I definitely fit the bill for responsible, hard working, good little employee. I'm a Virgo and like everything to be perfect when I'm at work. But I also really value my freedom to express myself. To be a little funny and odd.

It's probably why when I've worked retail, I've worked in small businesses. They are usually more accepting of otherness. They run a small business for chrissakes. That's probably one of the hardest things you can do these days. So if they find a competent employee who likes to wear hats with ears, well, whatever, they can wear hats with ears if they get the job done!

Hmm.

Sorry for the long rant. I'll go now. Off to integrate into adult society. Slowly but surely.

:D

-Rose

**********************

And if you're interested in older nuggets of gold...

Here's my 1st buried treasure here.

And the second one here.


-Rosemoo

8 comments:

Jakarta said...

hello, your blog looks nice ^^!
I hope you gain more success in the future.

arlee said...

Hell, Rose, i still feel in that place "between" and i'm a LOT older than you :)--DON'T give it up, fellow Virgo!

MrCachet said...

The image appears broken, so perhaps you could look? I'd like to see it but can't!

Anonymous said...

I'm still "in between"...and always will be...


Moo! to Mine Baybee!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I still haven't learned to dress like a grown up. Even when I worked in the corporate world, I found a way to be me. Loved your thoughts.

ArtPropelled said...

Love your cuddly quirky owl! Now he IS cool.

Rosemoo said...

Thanks all! And I fixed the picture thank you MrCachet. :D

jiLy said...

Hmmm. Cool- feeling cool, acting cool, wanting to be cool- is all a state of mind. If you feel comfortable in who you are, your thoughts and in your "skin"- then you are the very coolest person in the world- and a very lucky and gifted person as well.
Anyone who has participated in Seth's Buried Treasure collaboration is top of my COOL list!!!! Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!