Sunday, May 9, 2010

A visit to Lost at Sea, Gallery Hanahou


I don't usually do adventure stories, but on Thursday night I got to see my lovely friend Kendra for the first time in months and we did a fun art thing together.

We went to see the opening of a lovely art show curated by Kristen Rask
(of Schmancy and Plush You fame) called Lost at Sea, over at Gallery Hanahou.

From their site:

' "Lost at Sea" gathers 33 exciting artists who share underwater visions of items lost, creatures forgotten, and life that struggles to stay with us. The show will feature a broad array of amusing and uncanny works in embroidery, plush, and other materials, including new pieces by Hine Mizushima, Jill Bliss, and Jenny Hart of Sublime Stitching. '

It is a must see, and is open until June 11th just off of Broadway and Houston.

Sadly we went late and so missed meeting Nicole (Astulabee). And I don't have a great memory for all the faces that go with the art (although I recognized a lot of the artists from flickr and Mr X Stitch) so if anyone else I know online was there, I didn't know it.

I didn't take any photos even though I brought my camera, but I wanted to share my favorites of the evening, so here they are from flickr (with permission!). The title is their store name and a link to their etsy shop. Their name takes you to their website and at the end of the post you will find a link to their blog.

Here are my six favorite pieces. The first one was my super favorite, the rest were all around excellent.

------
Miniature Rhino

This was a new artist to me, or so I thought. I'd actually seen her little 'cabinet of curiosities' ages ago and loved them. I somehow missed her stitching. Her name is Jessica Marquez. This one was my personal 'best in show'.

'How Many Nights?'



You can actually see how this piece rotates if you click here. If I had a bigger pocketbook I think I would have tried to buy it on the spot.

Jessica Marquez Blog

-----
Lou Lou & Oscar

One of my first internet art crushes. I had never seen Lisa Aaron's work in person, so it was really fabulous to see 3 of her pieces up close. (Especially since she lives in Scotland). My favorite was the embroidered handkerchief.

'Lost at Sea with you'



I love her softies but her embroidery really blew me away. Such detail and whimsy.

Lisa Aaron's Blog

-----
Astulabee

Those of you who follow my blog know how much I am in love with Astulabee. Nicole Licht is a fabulous person and incredibly talented. Kendra thought her pieces were the 'best in show'. I adore her softies, but find her embroidery really mature and delicate. There is a story, a sort of subconscious feel to these. I want to go live in them. This one was my favorite.

'untitled'



You really need to see this up close to appreciate how tiny and perfect it is.

Nicole Licht's Blog

-----
Gooseflesh

Helle Jorgensen is downright amazing. Her work graces the postcard/poster of the show. I have followed her work ever since my friend Boodely (Estyn Hulbert) turned me onto it. She does wonderful things with recycled materials.

'Actinia, 2010'



These are crocheted from recycled plastic bags. Interestingly, they were very small. I always figured they'd be large, but no. Lovely work.

Helle Jorgensen's Blog

-----
Melissa Sue Stanley

I really adore the wild cryptozoological tone of most of Melissa Sue Stanley's work, she makes these great little Baba Yaga softies and some fun, weird, amigurumi creatures. But I was blown away by this embroidery.

'remember me'



The hair dangles down past the piece and has little beads in it. Gorgeous.

Melissa Sue Stanley's Blog

-----
Resurrection Fern

Another serious internet crush. Margaret Oomen. She reminds me of the wise fairy tale woman who grants you wishes if you do right by yourself and nature. I imagine she lives in a tree and speaks with the dryads. Another great feeling to see her work in person.

'gather ye pebbles where ye may'



It reminds me of this piece, which she did for her Mother, who is now gone to a better place. There is a beauty, a sadness, and a profound feeling of maturity and groundedness to her work. I am glad to know her even though we've never met in person.

Margaret Oomen's Blog

-----

There was a lot more great art. Those were my faves but I also got to see work by Cotton Monster (just as fun and vibrant in real life as online), Mummysam, (small but really sweet), fun pieces from Hine, a lovely piece with a whale from Wound up Ladybug, lovely mermaid from Mary's Granddaughter, great stuff from muchodesign, this great piece from Erin Paisley and a few more pieces that sadly I can't find pictures of online.

You can do your own virtual search of the gallery (informal of course) by going to flickr and searching for this. And the good people at Gallery Hanahou have actually made a set of photos of the event on flick here.

I highly recommend going over to the individual artists' blogs because the glimpses into their inner lives really brings you closer to their work. I've been reading most of their blogs for over a year now, so seeing some of this work close up was a real treat. Kendra thought it was funny that I knew the backstory of a lot of the pieces (where the artist lives, their name, etc) without even looking at the program.

The show was great. Kristen Rask clearly has a great eye for soft work, embroidered and otherwise. I wish I could go to Plush You! this year, but I don't think I'll make it. All the more reason that I was really glad to get to see this show!

Here are some of the art pieces for sale online.

Thanks for indulging me in my whimsy.

-moo

8 comments:

Schmancy said...

Thanks for this very detailed post! I am so glad you liked it.

jessica said...

what a great post about the show! thanks! i was totally blown away with Helle Jorgensen's work. amazing! thanks so much for the "best in show" haha!!

Margie Oomen said...

i still can't believe my little sea creatures were rubbing their snouts or shells with some of my favorite fiber artists on this earth. I think I might need a little soft fiber clam to give me a little pinch just to make sure I didn't dream it all.
Thanks for checking out the show rose.
I loved you perspective although I have been trying to figure out the "sadness" bit all day. I did by choice go for a softer palate than my usual bright colors or contrasts. I was actually really happy when I made these pieces.
xo
margie

Rosemoo said...

Schmancy: Thanks for putting it on!

Jessica: You should really see more of Helle's work on flickr, it's amazing. Here's a link to chew on. http://www.flickr.com/photos/hellejorgensen/sets/72157594358210176/

Margie: I've been thinking about it Margie, and you're right. I actually re-read that section and was surprised to see the word sadness.

I think it came up subconsciously when I was thinking about your work and your blog posts. Your energy is so nature and family oriented, and has such a sense of connectivity that I think even though it is mostly joy and celebration of life and love, it makes me sad. Not sad like teary eyed, but sad like a really beautiful sunset over a cold lake, where the fog is rolling in and the loons are calling.

I'm not sure I can define it better than that. Maybe a better word would be somber or better yet poignant (def: a. Profoundly moving; touching).

So I'm less sure I meant the piece itself, and more meant my emotional response to it.

What's funny is that I didn't realize I put that word in there. It just snuck in. Your work is lovely Margie, don't think I meant anything by it.

astulabee/nicole said...

Thanks so much for this thoughtful reflection! I too was touched to see the handiwork of those I really admire finally up close!

Rosemoo said...

I found one of the artists I couldn't find. Such a wonderful piece. Her site is here: http://www.joettamaue.com/

and the piece is the first picture from her blog, here:

http://littleyellowbirds.blogspot.com/2010/05/lost-in-colorful-playful-wonderfully.html

What a stunning piece. I kept glancing over at it. So good.

Mathyld / under the pyramids said...

Funny to see that your favourites happen to be my favourites (artists as well as friends !) Except for Helle that I don't know ...yet !
Thanks for this very detailed post, I feel a little less frustrated now :)
Paris is so far away ...
x x x
___mathyld___

Rosemoo said...

Nicole: I wish I could've done the workshop. The pictures look like so much fun!

Mathyld: You are right, we share so many online friends I can’t believe I haven’t noticed you changed blog spaces.

I adore HP Lovecraft. I think he is one of my biggest inspirations.

I love the title of your blog. I will add it to my list for sure. :D

-Rose