Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thinking in words, a strangely cathartic post


(Petri Dish project, still going!)

I haven't been posting as much as I want to, so even though I'm fairly against New Years Resolutions, I guess that will be mine.

More posts! Separate the wheat from the chaff!

I started this blog hoping that it would provide an outlet for my words. I've always loved words, and I've always been a reader. Arguably a Voracious Reader.

I remember walking down the halls between classes reading. I was able to navigate with my peripheral vision. I needed that five minute 'shot of words' between english and math. My earliest memory of doing that is fourth grade. I can still remember the large painting/mosaic at the end of the hall that I used as a target between rooms. As long as I kept that in sight I knew I was going in a straight line and would soon turn left then right straight into my math class.

Ah, nerdiness.

The reasons I haven't been posting are many. I feel as though if I list them they will go away, or at least become more manageable.

Here goes... Watch out! Whinging ahead! I have inserted photos to make it more entertaining. They are unrelated to the topic.

#1: Puppy
The puppy is pure wonderful, but she is a lot of work. She needs to go out at least five times a day (not counting her midday walk), and usually I do them all, or at least four of them. She needs to be fed twice a day, and since she got her limp in December, we changed her diet considerably. Now it takes about five to ten minutes to make each meal. Then she needs her lessons, every day, a few times a day. She practices her commands and sometimes starts learning new ones. Now we're working on 'heel'. Also we are perfecting her stairs. Up and Down. She's still afraid of down.


#2: Dishes/Laundry
And being home for more hours of the day means in all fairness, I do a bulk of the other things that normally we would share. If Taller Half is only home and able to see me for about two hours a night, I'd rather do the dishes and spend that time with him than send him to drudgery as soon as he gets in the door.

Of course that means I'm doing most of the drudgery myself. Which is mostly dishes, sometimes dinner making, and lately Laundry (at the laundrymat, my kingdom for an in-home washer/dryer!) We do the rest of the cleaning together mostly, on the weekends. We both like a clean house, so that's usually a small amount of maintenance, all of the time.


#3 Blogs:
I like to read blogs. Which means I'm spending at least fifteen to half an hour's worth of time every day poking through my list, reading posts, sometimes commenting.


#4 Facebook:
Facebook entertains me, and often has links to other things. This can distract me for over an hour. (The horror!) Also I have a small addiction to Pet Society.


#5 Art making:
My art. This I don't see as a bad thing. If I abandon the internet for a whole day or more to make things, that's great, not bad.


#6 Reading:
I mostly do my reading for work these days, trying to help vet new books for the store, or reading great books to help my handselling technique. It's alot more fun and easier for me to sell books if I've actually read the whole thing, as opposed to just a review, or the first few pages.


#7 Internet as a whole:
Just hanging out. I do a fair amount of sort of 'existing' on the internet. I don't know how else to define it. I manage to waste inordinate amounts of time just surfing around, checking webcomics, looking things up. Suddenly I'll get really interested in an actors career and feel the need to look up all the movies they've been in...things like that. Useless!


#8 Feeling sorry for myself:
Not sure what that is about lately. I'm actually happy, have a great puppy and husband, and love my job. Somehow I still find time to whine.

So that's my list.

As for cutting stuff out of that, well, the easiest answers are facebook and hanging out on the interwebs.

Of course, I wrote this post in order to put it up this morning, and as it was I had to run out the door. Now it's the evening. See, time flies! Far and fast!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe yo could make puppy's meals in advance?
A once a day process for 2 meals?
A once a week process for 14 meals?

Just a thot...moo to mine baybee!

Chveya said...

i like your art too. DO you have an Etsy shop? MOre things to take up your time online. Happy to see that you didn't metion being sick, i hope that means you are better. =)

Rosemoo said...

Hi Mom. Maybe. We do a raw diet so it all has to be refrigerated, etc etc.

Yo Chveya! Thanks! I do have an etsy store. Here. http://www.etsy.com/shop/rosemoo
And yes, I'm finally not sick. Hurrah!

Melly Testa said...

I hear you! I have been embroidering too, it has been great fun. I do find that turning the computer off stops me from wanting to check in with facebook and my fav blogs. You have a great corner of the web over here.

Margie Oomen said...

oh my
i love the petri dish
i had almost forgotten that I had sketched out some crochet covered ones in my journal last year.
hmmm
off to find a microbiology lab

Diana E. said...

Happy happy. I have a wedding present for you from Korea. I will come give it to you sometime in the fall.

Miss Rosemoo. And before Blair (which was too crowded for this), I did the reading while walking thing, too.

ZenCrafter said...

See, I cut out the cooking and cleaning part for a while so I could post and create, but my family got a little tired of that. (cough, cough.)

I think you are sucking in life and knowledge and all of it will come into balance at some point. You have the best job. That's the great thing about having kids--getting to read their books!