Monday, October 12, 2009

Wild Thing Hat


I was given some lovely fabric by the wonderful Nicole of Astulabee fame. And I didn't know what to do with it. And then, inspiration hit and I decided to make myself a Wild Thing Hat from it.

The movie comes out this week, and of course, since I work in a Children's Bookstore, we are talking about it, and will probably sell some of the books this week.

I have always loved Maurice Sendak. So I went straight to the source for inspiration on the size and shape.



There were some mistakes made, but I simply stitched them into the design. Originally the ears weren't supposed to have yellow edging or be tucked in like that.





I was going to make it from a sort of muddy white or terrycloth, and then realized that I A: didn't have any, and B: didn't need it to be Max's Hat. It could be Rose the Wild Thing's Hat. So I let inspiration and necessity lead me astray.

It's quite warm and fuzzy, and the interior fabric is actually the same fabric as the exterior fabric on the Kitty Hat. This one fits a lot better though.

I was going to put Max Whiskers on my hat, but I like to wear my ear hats in daily life, and giant whiskers didn't seem like much fun explaining to people. Simple ears on a warm winter hat are a bit easier to explain.

This is my third winter ear hat. I seem to be making one each fall. Maybe I'll keep it a tradition. I like my head toasty warm in the winters. I have a little bit of scrap fabric left from the lovely gold brocade. I might make glove-y claw hands too! We'll see...it is going to be a busy week.

It was a lot of fun to make it though. I estimate it was a four hour hat from start to finish. One of those 'I have an idea and will now work until that idea is fully realized' moments. Thankfully the Taller Monkey knows when to let me have my space and just do those things. I haven't been making much either lately, so it was good to see a project from start to finish.

Unfortunately, I think he might have given me his sickness. I'm a bit lethargic this morning. Here's hoping it's just the aches and pains of the cold weather kicking in and nothing more serious.

Kitty hat was last years hat. See it here.

Bear hat was the first one. See it here.

3 comments:

Nick Simmonds said...

Cute. I'll eat your hat up, I love it so.

Ulysseous said...

Have I told you how much I miss having someone like you in my life? It looks like a great hat and I hope you are feeling better.

astulabee/nicole said...

so cute you are!!
:)!