Thursday, October 1, 2009

Painting the Sadness out

My wonderful Mother bought me an easel for my birthday.

I've been super busy so I hadn't played with it yet (I'm a Virgo, so it wasn't that long ago, but still).

And since I've been working on a secret project for a local, while letting layers dry I worked on two new paintings.

I think the last time I painted was over two years ago. Not sure though. These are both around 11"x14" I think.

Here's the first one.



A little scary. Sorry about that. Reminds me of a wolfish version of the Bunny in Donnie Darko. I'm not sure what I was going for. I let the brush and the palette take me where it wanted to go. Click all of these photos to embiggen if you wish.



And the second one is sadder, although less scary (I think). I was thinking about time passing, and death, and robots. Not sure if that all comes across.




I spent a lot less time on the first one and I think I like it better because of that. It has more of that rough 'five minute sketch' quality that I've always loved. I think I did spend less than ten minutes on it...

I do most of my drawing as a sort of emotions-pulling-from-the-subconscious sort-of-thing. Which means I'm lazy about technique. But I really have fun when I just let my hand wander. Usually I let myself play until something starts to look at me out of the page/canvas. Then I go with that. I have a tendency to do side portraits like these. Not sure what it is about the left side of a face, but that's usually how I draw them.

I'm still trying to take it slow. But work has been pretty busy now. And as usual I'm juggling side projects with my own art, with work reading, with pleasure reading...

I can't complain though really. I'm still here.

Love to all.

3 comments:

Seth said...

I am digging these! I am especially drawn to the first one. Such freedom of expression there!

Kelda said...

Oh, I love your sad robot. Lonely and introspective.

Cynjon said...

The sad robot...wonderful. (if that's an appropriate description to use for a sad piece_