Monday, October 26, 2009

The Beginning of Puppy Parenthood

Sorry this has nothing to do with art or books. But I had to share. If you've been wondering what I've been up to, this is it.



PUPPY!

First of all. We gots a puppy! She came home with us Saturday night, and today is our Third day with her. Her name is Rayna (RAY-NAH). She is a Bernese Mountain Dog Puppy. About 10 weeks old give or take.

(For those of you who are like, "Wait a minute, you've never mentioned a puppy", have no fear. The taller half and I have been talking about this and researching it for at least a year. So we knew what we were getting into. This is no random choice, and has been prefaced by a lot of behind-the-scenes work you didn't get to see).

That said, Wheee-oooooohhhhh.

It's just the two of us today. Rayna and I just got back from the vet and boy are we pooped. I was feeling great about it. And she did splendidly, although she prefers to look around in the car so there was a bit of crying on the way to and from (she was in her little crate, next time we might try the seatbelt harness so she can watch).


I didn't realize that I was a bit stressed about it. We've been home for almost half an hour, she's sleeping and I finally feel a bit upset. I am so relieved she liked our vet and that she had a really positive experience. But I was really wound up. And now that I'm relaxing I'm realizing how hard this all is. I'm only a bit upset but it is definitely difficult.

But wonderful! I just feel like a nervous new mother I guess.



Rayna is a sweet sweet little puppy. And we are doing our best to be the best puppy parents. Today is my day off with her, helping her to adjust to the house and to us. She's been pretty regular and seems great, and we'll get the results of her preliminary stool tests tomorrow to see if she has any problems we can't see.



Saturday night was our first night with her and it was a bit tough on all of us, but last night we started really getting into the routine of her asking when she needed to pee or poop, us taking her to her spot, and all of us peacefully going straight back to sleep after.

Thank god.

I think a lot of baby animals (including humans) have to go through some icky poo situations before they grow up. It's gross but feels totally natural. At least I've had some exposure to stinky babies before. Taller half isn't quite used to it. :D

It's still a rocky nights sleep however you cut it though. We were lucky to get a two hour chunk of sleep last night. It was pure bliss.

I can't really imagine having a human baby. I'm sure it's much much harder.

But really, revel in the cuteness.

Revel!



It's hard to believe she's gonna be bigger than me (most likely) when she's full grown! Those tiles are about 1 foot square each.

Here's a short video of her (there's no sound because all you could hear was the thrum of the car).



A link to basic information about Bernese Mountain Dogs here.

A really nifty website here. Bernese Mountain Dogs.Org

I love my little Rayna. Maybe she'll let me nap with her for awhile. I'm so exhausted.

:D

4 comments:

Nick Simmonds said...

puppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppypuppy

Cynjon said...

That is some hardcore cuteness there!

mimilove forever said...

eeep! OH MY! How cute is she?! I wish you well on your journey may it be a joyous one...more puppy pics!! SIGHHHH
x:)

astulabee/nicole said...

ohhh! adorable! ADORABLE!
totally feel like new mom over here too! Love it! but oh man where did my time go?!
xo!