Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Chuppa/Mandap Project in progress!


So the Chuppa Committee have ruled that I can begin. I bought fabric on Friday and am now all the way...well you'll see.

Basically the story is that my friend is finally getting married and I'm making her and her man a Chuppa/Mandap! If you don't know what those are, they're basically this great tent thing that you have your wedding ceremony under. That is really really really simplifying it though. You should go to Wikipedia or ask someone if you want to understand it better.

I really feel as though it's an honor to be working on something with such significance.

Here is the fast little photoshop sketch I did based on their ideas for their chuppa. Actually this is the second or third incarnation of them. They were more busy before.

My first doodle wasn't really to scale though I did use it to help me estimate fabric amounts.

The black and white one behind it is actually 'to scale' This is 9'6" by 9'6". Or about two Roses.

I'm basically making a 'summer quilt' since I'm essentially doing an odd sort of piecing without batting.

I've never made a quilt before, but I have a lot of experience with textiles from my work in theatre so I'm not really afraid of it.



I made a quick and dirty color version with glue and scraps of the fabric to make sure I was happy with the overlay ideas. And the color harmony. I need to make sure the tree doesn't dwarf the star of david I decided after doing this little one. Otherwise it's close in concept if not execution.

I cleaned off my (well, the taller ones really) drafting table to use as a layout table.





Side note, look at all those freaking pins! They hurt so much when they scratch you too! It's not like I've never used pins but ow!



I was going to try to sew all the layers down at once and then decided that that would be crazy talk. Here's the first circle of the flower shape. I'm calling it the 'yolk'.





Bazzam! I've sewn down the edges of all three flower shapes. Now on to the Star of David!

This project is definitely going to be time consuming. But it's really fun working on something that (hopefully) will be an heirloom item and stay in their family for ages!

:D

-moo

2 comments:

Chedder Fish said...

OH SNAP~! This is going to be so Awesome!!!

I can't wait to see the beautiful final results.

M* (Melanie) said...

Wow it's a huge project but is looking fantastic. I can't wait to see how it turns out. It's such a beautiful thing to be making too. Will go and do my research now so I can understand it more...