Monday, March 2, 2009

Get 'er done, a Toronto Craft Alert Love Note

So I have been 'alerted' to Toronto Craft Alert by reading SweetiePiePress's blog posts (which are fabulous and inspiring).

I don't live in Toronto, or all that close, but their arts and crafts scene appear to be something to envy. So there is envy here. Much, much envy.

They seem to be a wonderful, wacky bunch of people.

And I know we have those here in New York too, but somehow their blog scene is more accessible and fascinating to me right now. Maybe it's just cause they're Canadians and therefore more interesting... At least in my head. Of course all artsy people are interesting, regardless of where they are...

So anyway, I read about their most recent giveaway/challenge, and decided to participate.

Here is the BEFORE picture of my challenge entry.



And here is the AFTER picture of my challenge entry.



For some background on this project, let me explain a bit.

I was working in props on a show that required a Lambchop puppet to appear as an orthodox Rabbi. (Now that sounds offensive, and I have no idea if it is or not, I never saw the show. Maybe it's funny somehow.)

So we had to make a little coat for the Rabbi puppet. And the coat length made the feet of the puppet dissapear.

So we had to lengthen the feet.

And the easiest way to lengthen the feet was to take adorably cute little 'made in china' replicate puppets, and cut their legs off. Then make new legs.

Yes.

So I chopped the legs off of five little cute puppets.

For Theatre. With a capital T.

It was sad.

I quote myself from my flickr site (where I posted more pictures of this):

It was really scary cutting the legs off of cute little lambchop puppets, and then pulling all the stuffing out of them.

I kept expecting her to start screaming with her little red mitten hands waving. "Shari noooooooooo!!!!!" then winding down like HAL from 2001, singing

"This is the sonnnnnggg thhhhaaaatttt ddooooeessssnnn'tttttt ennnnnnnnnnn......"

end quote

But! I saved the legs from the landfill, and took them home.

Then they sat in a box for awhile.

Now! They are Octochop! A fuzzy eight legged octopoid thing. Inspired by Lambchop.

Those of you who didn't grow up in America watching a tv show where cute puppets sing and ask questions about life and playing won't really see the oddness of what I've done, but hey.

Here's the wiki link about Lambchop.

PS: Of course, I have no desire to sully the name of the chop, and I love her. That show was awesome. This is a simple art homage to her, and a repurposing of pieces of a puppet that I would rather not have let go into a landfill somewhere. Don't sue me or something. Please.

Thanks.

Oh, and if it's before March 16th, 2009, go participate in the Get 'er Done Crafty Giveaway! It's a nifty idea!

Make stuff!

More pictures of the Octochop:









She loves you.

To end, I quote some lyrics from Skullcrusher mountain by Jonathan Coulton, which reminds me of the Octochop.

"I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you
But I get the feeling that you don't like it
What's with all the screaming?
You like monkeys, you like ponies
Maybe you don't like monsters so much
Maybe I used too many monkeys
Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?"

Go watch a live video of him singing this awesome song.

I found it by playing Rockband. The shame. :D

-Rose

3 comments:

Kelda said...

Your Octochop is kind of cute and disturbing. And those song lyrics are simply disturbing. Ruined a pony for my gift... urg.

But! I am going to fixate on your last line and say how much I love to play Rockband. Over xmas, I got Joc and Tom and Dad to play with me, and it was awesome.

Rosemoo said...

It sounds scary when you read it, but it's a hilarious mad scientist song. Listen to the youtube. I think you'd like it. :D

Rock band should be something I hate, and yet, it's totally fun.

I never thought I would like a game like that, but I do. I love it.

I play bass and drums mostly, sometimes I sing. I've only played two long sessions, but they were great.

Nick Simmonds said...

It reminds me more of JoCo's "I Crush Everything".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RFEzpUsUBk